Eagle Rock Branch Library


Eagle Rock Branch Library

The original building of the Eagle Rock Branch Library was designed by W.E. Kleinpell and constructed with a $7,500 Carnegie grant in 1914. It was opened in 1915 under the name of the Eagle Rock Carnegie Library. Soon after Eagle Rock was integrated into the City of Los Angeles in the early 1920s, the building was substantially remodeled by the architects Newton and Murray and opened anew on July 25, 1928, as the Eagle Rock Branch Library in the Los Angeles Public Library system.


The Eagle Rock Branch Library is a one-and-a-half story structure built of reinforced concrete and hollow tile. It is designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style with the use of tile roofs and stucco-clad walls. The building is sited above the street and is designed in a cruciform plan. The entry is located at the apex of the south and west facing wings, with two walkways leading to a pair of wooden doors. The front-facing gable on the east has a large multi-pane window which admits light into the children's room; a similar window is on the west side. Other windows on the building's ground floor are grouped in three, and a row of clerestory windows is on the upper story. The interior is derived from a cathedral plan with the reading room as the nave with side vook shelf areas. The building features cast stone columns set between arches, a fireplace, and an outdoor reading area located on the roof.


The Library suffered structural damage February, 1971, making it unsafe for continued use. Given the potential cost of repairs as well as the need for more space, parking, and handicapped access, a new library was deemed to be the best solution. The current building on 5027 Caspar Avenue opened in 1981, with dedication ceremonies held on October 3. The old building on the original site on Colorado Boulevard was fully renovated and is now the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock. It was designated a Historic-Cultural Monument (No.292) by the Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission in 1985. In 1987, along with several other branch libraries in Los Angeles, the original Eagle Rock Branch Library building was placed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in a thematic group submission.


Address: 2225 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90041


Website: http://www.lapl.org/branches/eagle-rock


Facebook (landmark): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eagle-Rock-Community-Cultural-Center/105731556126786


Branch History: http://www.lapl.org/branches/eagle-rock/history


Status: Relocated in 1981 to 5027 Caspar Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90041. The original site is now the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock.


Additional Resources

Carnegie Libraries of California website: http://www.carnegie-libraries.org/

City of Los Angeles, Department of City Planning (2007, September 7). Historic-Cultural Monuments (HCM) Listing: City Declared Monuments.

Eagle Rock Timeline website: http://www.eaglerockhistory.org/timeline.html

Exterior view of the Eagle Rock branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, [s.d.]. USC Digital Library. USC Libraries Special Collections.

Figenshow, S., Morris McNeill, Inc., & Los Angeles (Calif.). (1990). Historic cultural monuments: A review of historical monuments to identify potential cultural facilities. Los Angeles, CA.: City of Los Angeles, Cultural Affairs Dept.

Los Angeles Public Library. (1928). From Handbook of the Branch Libraries: The Six Carnegie Buildings (1913-1916).

Los Angeles Times. (1916, December 2). From Carnegie Fund: To Open Last of City's Six Library Branches.

McGrew, P., & Julian, R. (1994). Landmarks of Los Angeles. New York, NY: H.N. Abrams.

Morrison, P. (1996, January 31). Of Carnegie, Gates and Library Lore. Los Angeles Times.

Soter, B. D., Muench, J., & Library Foundation of Los Angeles. (1993). The light of learning: An illustrated history of the Los Angeles Public Library. Los Angeles, CA: Library Foundation of Los Angeles.