North Hollywood Amelia Earhart Regional Branch Library
North Hollywood Amelia Earhart Regional Branch Library, also known as North Hollywood Branch or Amelia Earhart Branch, is a branch library of the Los Angeles Public Library system. It is located in North Hollywood, a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, home to the NoHo Arts District and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The history of the library dates back to the early 1900's, when books were circulated from a corner of a City of Lankershim post office. On December 29, 1923, Lankershim became part of the City of Los Angeles, and the Lankershim library branch was incorporated into the Los Angeles Public Library system, in February of 1924. The City's name of "Lankershim" changed to "North Hollywood" in 1927, and the Library Board changed the name of the Lankershim branch to the Sidney Lanier Branch, in honor of the American Southern musician, poet and author.
The library moved to its present location at 5211 Tujunga Avenue on July 29, 1929. Designed by the architects architects Lewis Eugene Weston and Lewis Eugene Weston Jr. in the Spanish Colonial, or Mediterranean, Revival style, the North Hollywood Branch Library is a one-story red brick building. It has clerestory top with seven multi-pane recessed windows centered over the entry. The clerestory has a shallow hip roof of red Spanish tiles and two chimneys at the south end. The roof is supported by a row of stylized concrete columns and capitals resting on a concrete wall finished by a brick course. Entry to the small rectangular vestibule is through decorative wrought-iron gates flanked by Mexican tile window grilles set with green antique glass. Doors of oak and leaded glass lead into the library at the north and south ends. The interior features a central charging and a fireplace on the south end.
In 1956, architect John Landon designed an addition which almost tripled the library's size, matching the original in brick work, roof, and exterior detailing. The branch changed its name from the North Hollywood Sidney Lanier Regional Branch to the North Hollywood Amelia M Earhart Regional Branch in 1980, motioned by the Library Board of Commissioners. Amelia Mary Earhart was an American aviation pioneer and author, the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
The North Hollywood Amelia Earhart Regional Branch Library was designated a Historic-Cultural Monument (No.302) by the Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission in 1986. In 1987, along with several other branch libraries in Los Angeles, it was placed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in a thematic group submission.
The historic building of the library was closed for repairs after the 1994 Northridge earthquake, and the library moved to temporary quarters at MCA/Universal, one of the first partners with the Library Foundation in the Adopt-a-Branch program that assisted in providing funds for repairs. The renovated building re-opened on April 17th 1995. Within several years, due to demographic growth, the library had become crowded once again. M2A Architects and ARK Construction expanded and restored the 1929 building, bringing the library facility to a total of 15,150 square feet. The addition was designed to blend seamlessly with the older structure while still maintaining some decorative modern updates, such as the four clay art friezes located in the reading room that were created by artist Beverly Crist depicting books and community. In 2003 and 2004 the North Hollywood Amelia M. Earhart Regional Branch was awarded the State of California Governor's Design Award, the Los Angeles Conservancy Preservation Award, and the California Preservation Foundation Design Award.
Address: 5211 Tujunga Avenue, North Hollywood, CA 91601
Branch History: http://www.lapl.org/branches/north-hollywood-regional/history
Amelia Earhart - Mini Biography
Video by BIO
City of Los Angeles, Department of City Planning (2007, September 7). Historic-Cultural Monuments (HCM) Listing: City Declared Monuments.
Figenshow, S., Morris McNeill, Inc., & Los Angeles (Calif.). (1990). Historic cultural monuments: A review of historical monuments to identify potential cultural facilities. Los Angeles, CA.: City of Los Angeles, Cultural Affairs Dept.
McGrew, P., & Julian, R. (1994). Landmarks of Los Angeles. New York, NY: H.N. Abrams.
Mearl, J. (2014, January 11). Nine Los Angeles libraries to resume Sunday hours. Los Angeles Times.
Soter, B. D., Muench, J., & Library Foundation of Los Angeles. (1993). The light of learning: An illustrated history of the Los Angeles Public Library. Los Angeles, CA: Library Foundation of Los Angeles.
Sur, I. (2000, February 11). Panel approves library proposals. Los Angeles Times.